Contacting the IRS

Contacting the IRS

Although we would love to help you on your journey to financial freedom, the truth that most companies won’t tell you is that you don’t have to utilize the services of a tax professional. You can take advantage of these resources on your own. However, we understand that not everyone has the time or expertise to do so.

You don’t have to wait until you’re in trouble to contact the IRS. It’s best to make a call or visit to clear any confusion and avoid finding yourself in a tax discrepancy. Whatever the case may be, we want you to have the tools you need to take on the IRS.

Call the IRS With Your Tax Questions

Live assistance is available Monday through Friday. There is also a 24-hour recorded assistance line for your convenience.

Contact Your Local IRS Office

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are best when you believe your tax issue needs to be dealt with by an IRS agent face-to-face. The IRS provides hours of service and other local information on a per-state basis.

IRS Mailing Address (“Where to File”)

For those who don’t file their federal tax returns electronically, the IRS “Where to File” pages provide mailing addresses for filing all paper tax returns. You may also use your appropriate “Where to File” address for other written correspondence with the IRS.

Contact the IRS for the Status of your Refund

Want to check on the status of your refund? You can check online with the IRS “Where’s My Refund application,” or call 1-800-829-4477. Please wait at least four weeks before calling.

Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service

Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service if you have an ongoing issue with the IRS that is still unresolved through normal processes, or you have suffered, or are about to suffer significant hardship or an economic burden because of the tax law administration.

How to make a Voluntary Disclosure

Taxpayers wanting to report undisclosed income or assets should go through the IRS Voluntary Disclosure Program.

Contact Your Local IRS Office Internationally

IRS International Services is where you can find contact information for taxpayers who live outside the United States.

Suspicious IRS Emails and Letters and Identity Theft

The IRS does not send out unsolicited emails asking for personal information. The IRS established an electronic mailbox for you to report suspicious emails claiming to have been sent by the IRS.

An authentic IRS notice will have your tax ID number and the tax year(s) in question noted on the page. When you search for your notice or letter using the IRS Notices & Letters Search, and nothing comes up, or you believe the notice or letter looks suspicious, contact the IRS at 800-829-1040

Should you determine the notice or letter is fraudulent, please visit the IRS Report Phishing page for the appropriate course of action.

How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?

If you have information about an individual or company you suspect is not complying with the tax law, report this activity. Otherwise, nothing will go towards preventing further unscrupulous activities.

Help with the IRS Website

If you need help finding something on the site, understanding our different file formats, printing files you’ve downloaded, installing or using the tax products CD-ROM, or any similar technical problem, “HELP” is the place to seek assistance.

Send the IRS Comments and Feedback by Email

When emailing the IRS, it is NOT the place for tax law questions or questions regarding your specific tax return, but you can give them some constructive feedback regarding the website if you like. Provide your email address if you want a response, but don’t include any social security numbers or other personal tax account information.

Where Is My Stimulus Check?

If you have not received your stimulus check yet, check its status.

IRS Hotlines:

  • Tax Help Line for Individuals: 800-829-1040
  • Tax Help Line for Businesses: 800-829-4933
  • Order Tax Forms and Publications: 800-829-3676
  • Information Return Reporting: 866-455-7438
  • Employer Identification Numbers (EINs): 800-829-4933
  • Help Line for Tax Exempt and Government Entities (TEGE): 877-829-5500
  • Help Line for Forms 706 and 709: 866-699-4083
  • Help Line for Excise Tax and Form 2290: 866-699-4096
  • Help Line for FBAR and Title 31: 866-270-0733
  • Special Hotline for U.S. Military (Disaster or Combat Zone): 866-562-5227
  • Telephone Assistance for Overseas Taxpayers: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
  • Telephone Assistance for the Deaf (TDD): 800-829-4059

What If I Do Need Help Contacting the IRS?

Sometimes, an IRS phone call just won’t cut it. The hour-long wait times alone can be enough to discourage you from contacting. If you have back taxes, unfilled tax years, or any other tax issues, and want professional representation, call us at (888) 421-WAVE. We can serve as your liaison and contact the IRS directly on your behalf.